Tuesday 14 October 2008

Walk on Stanton Moor

Karen had BCA and OCC 60th Anniversary Document to do plus the weather forecast wasn't very good so she stayed at home while I headed towards Birchover and onto Stanton Moor. I followed a path leading past the Reform Tower and on to the Nine Ladies Stone Circle. After some photos I headed via the trig point towards the small quarry near the Cork Stone and had some tea from my flask.
Afterwards I followed the path down to Birchover popping out opposite the Druid Inn. I decided to have a look around Rowtor Rocks behind the pub and had my lunch of cheese and pickle sandwiches there. This ia a curious place with all sorts of carvings and even hollowed-out boulders made into rooms. Following the path past the Old Vicarage and near Rocking Stone Farm I then headed down to the road and followed the track up to Robin Hood's Stride where I clambered up to sit in a sheltered spot at the foot of one of the large upright blocks at the top. While finishing off my flask of tea I watched a bank of drizzle move in and then headed back down the track to the road and retraced my way back up the path from the road to a junction with another path which I then followed towards Birchover.




There was a ruined building of some sort with on gable wall made from a large upright boulder which had inscriptions from the 18th and 19th centuries. I followed the path until I reach Birchover Lane and then followed Clough Lane back to where I had previously joined the lane and back into the fields leading back to the footpath bringing you into Main Street in Winster opposite home.

No comments: