Sunday 23 November 2008

Walk from Hartington along Biggin, Wolfescote and Beresford Dales, Peak District

Karen was tied up with writing up Minutes for various minutes and other tasks so I decided to go for a walk despite the weather forecast of rain - at least the temperature was supposed to be a few degrees warmer than yesterday! First I called at the Orpheus Caving Club hut to pick up some stuff I had left behind yesterday and found a visiting group trying to get their mini-bus out of the car park after last night's icy conditions with Keith and Pete Collins (who had arrived yesterday evening) waiting in Pete's car for them to get out of the way. They were heading for breakfast at Monyash cafe before a digging session at Water Icicle Close Cavern.
I picked up my stuff and followed Keith and Pete to join them for some food at the cafe, Afterwards they headed for the mine while I headed for Hartington. I parked in the village centre and got my boots on. I headed uphill on a minor road which led past Hartington Hall which is a Youth Hostel and then across the fields following a Public Footpath to a track which brought me to the start of Biggin Dale after a mile or two. Part way along this track the first of several showers started so I stopped to get my overtrousers on. There was a small flood on the very short section of minor road between the end of the track and the start of Biggin Dale so I stopped and waited for a van to pass in order to avoid a splashing.
I followed down Biggin Dale which was quiet - so far I only saw two people since leaving Hartington. I followed along the dale, which was quite wet underfoot after the overnight snow, which had since melted, and today's rain showers. Soon I reached the picturesque junction of Biggin and Wolfescote Dales where you meet the upstream end of the River Dove. Here the rain got heavier and the river was flowing well with the water fairly muddy. I followed along Wolfescote Dale until after passing over a lane with footbridge over the river I entered Beresford Dale. This started as a wide area of pasture which was very waterlogged but soon narrowed into a path. I followed this until I ended up in fields with the sun breaking though the clouds with the rain stopping. Soon I was back in the village of Hartington and after changing out of boots, I drove the short distance back to Winster and home.

No comments: