Saturday 13 December 2008

Walking on Kinder Scout, Peak District

Even though the forecast was for rain, and when it wouldn't be raining, there would be heavy rain(!) and because Karen sensibly decided to stay indoors, I decided to go walking on Kinder Scout!.
Setting off around a quarter past nine after breakfast I drove to Upper Booth in Edale and parked at the car park where there were a group of walkers gathered around a large gas stove perched on a box cooking breakfast! I put on my waterproof overtrousers and boots and headed up the road until I reached a farm where the Pennine Way follows through the farm yard. Following this path I arrived at what most know as "Edale" but is actually Grindsbrook Booth.

I had already decided to follow up Ringing Roger to gain the Kinder Plateau and this is what I did. There weren't many others around, unsurprisingly given the weather forecast. Following around the Eastern edge of the plateau I reached the point where a stream drops down a ravine at near the top of Grindsbrook valley and found that the stream was so high you couldn't just cross at the usual point but by heading upstream a short way, I was able to step across a gap with the water passing below.
I continued around the plateau edge until reaching the head of Crowden Book where I sat beneath the rocks of Crowden Tower and had a sandwich and drink from my flask for lunch. Afterwards I decided to follow down the brook to eventually reach the road and then walked the short distance back to the car park. I changed out of my boots and headed just after three in the afternoon for home where Keith was having coffee after having come up for the weekend for the Orpheus Caving Club Christmas Dinner which was happening that evening.
After a shower and a short rest, Karen and I headed for the OCC cottage and met around thirty others for the annual Christmas Dinner which was excellent as usual.

No comments: