Monday 30 March 2009

Walk on Kinder Scout

I had two days holiday from work to use up before the end of March so I decided to take today and tomorrow off from work. Today I drove to Edale, actually Grindsbrook Booth as the village is really named and parked in the public car park which now costs £5 for more than four hours. I walked up the road to the village centre and turned left pas Cooper's Farm camp site onto the beginning of the Pennine Way. Before the path dropped downwards I followed the path which contours around towards Crowden Brook. It was cloudy but dry and quite cool and windy as I followed the stream until I arrived at the lovely short scramble up to the head of the Brook and its valley.
When I reached the path following the edge of the Kinder Scout plateau, I turned right and after a short distance found a sheltered spot behind a boulder with views back down the valley, when the mist cleared! I was now in the mist as the cloud level was about the height of the plateau. I had a short lunch and continued on along the path following the edge until I eventually reached the top of Ringing Roger. This is a small gritstone outcrop running for a short distance down from the plateau edge. I sat on the leeward side and finished my flask of coffee before dropping down to the path leading from Edale up Grindsbrook Valley, and followed this for the short distance back to Edale and back to the car park.

No comments: