Saturday 25 July 2009

Oxlow Cavern, Derbyshire

Boyd and Paul Thorne had packed the ropes for a trip down Oxlow Cavern while Karen, Keith Pete Collins and I were having breakfast in Monyash Cafe. We then got the ropes for Maskhill Mine sorted after finding Joe Burmeister already at the Club cottage. As we were leaving, Duncan Young arrived. Boyd headed down Oxlow rigging as he went with Paul following with a second tackle bag, me third with the third tackle bag, then Ashley Richardson and Karen bringing up the rear.
Part way down West Swirl Passage I found that our rope had run out - obviously Boyd had followed the CCPC Rigging Guide which is incorrect - and he and Paul Thorne had continued down to the pitch at the end using the in-situ tat. Karen and I decided not to use this and I explained to Ashley that he would have to do the last bit using the handline and shouted down to Paul to wait for him.
We headed back to the surface and walked over to the entrance to Maskhill Mine. Keith, Pete, Duncan and Joe had descended Maskhill while we were in Oxlow with the arrangement that Pete and Keith were to have a look along Pilgrims Way and then exit and de-rig Oxlow while Boyd, Ashley and I exited Oxlow and Karen exited Maskhill with Paul, Joe and Duncan to help carrying a tackle bag out. I dropped down to the top if Murmuring Churn pitch and heard voices below - which must have been the others on the way up. So I waited there and told Karen to wait at the top of the pitch above. When Joe arrived from below I took his tackle bag and prusiked up to Karen and handed the bag over and she headed for the surface.
I then waited for Joe to come up with another tackle bag and once he had done that, I followed Karen out. After a short wait on the surface, Joe, then Duncan and finally Paul arrived, each with a tackle bag.
We returned to Monyash Cafe for tea and snacks and then the Club cottage to wash ropes and tackle bags. Later on Keith, Pete, Karen and I had a meal at the Miners Standard at home in Winster.

No comments: