Saturday 5 December 2009

Another Walk on Kinder Scout

Again, Karen was planning to spend some helping her brother Keith and Pete Collins with their dig in Water Icicle Close Cavern. I opted for a walk and again decided on Kinder Scout.
Again I parked at Upper Booth car park and followed the route up Crowden Brook valley. Luckily the weather was clear, mostly dry with some sun and cool but not very cold.

Crowden Brook Valley
I arrived at Kinder's plateau and followed the path along the edge skirting around Grindsbrook valley until at Upper Tor I headed North-East aiming for Blackden Edge on the other side of the plateau which is a short distance to cover as the plateau is at its narrowest at that point. I followed a small stream to begin with, which didn't seem to grow in size and then heathery ground until I arrived at Blackden Edge near the top of Blackden Brook.

Rainbow Over Kinder

I saw a mountain hare a few metres away and it shot off. It was sporting its white winter coat and was easy to spot. Just then, some dark clouds appeared and there was a short shower with a complete rainbow making an appearance. I headed for a small group of gritstone boulders and sat in their lee with most of the rain blowing past overhead and had my lunch as it was around midday anyway.
I had bought a Paramo Fuera Ascent windproof jacket during the week and had been warm enough with that worn over just a thermal shirt as I had been moving continuously up to that point. I had also bought a Paramo Summit Hoodie, which is designed to complement the Fuera Ascent with matching ventilating zips, and I put this on as I was sitting for a while eating lunch.
This Northern side of the Kinder plateau is much quieter then the Southern and Easter Edges, which are nearer the villages of Hayfield and Kinder, respectively, and although I was sitting near the path following the edge, I saw no one at all the whole time.
Once I had finished my sandwiches, luckily the shower had also finished and I continued following the path. This path is not yet surfaced with rough stone slabs as are the more popular paths and so had short sections of wet, peaty soil, but nothing too onerous. There were plenty of calls of “Ack - ACK ACK ACK” and even some calls of “Go Back, Go Back, Go Back” from many grouse taking flight in the distance from their hiding places in the heather.

Madwoman's Stones
I had noticed a group of rocks marked on the OS map named “Madwoman's Stones” a long time ago and as I would be in their vicinity, I decided to have a look at them. So, when I was about due South of the large obvious valley of Alport Dale, I headed South and disturbed another mountain hare which darted away and stopped about 30 metres away and sat watching to see where I was planning to go next. Soon I arrived at Madwoman's Stones. They were a small, isolated group of gritstone boulders. I have no idea why they have this name though.

Mountain Hare in Winter Colours
I continued along the heathery ground and soon reached the path along the Southern Edge looking across to the Great Ridge separating the Hope Valley from the Edale Valley with Lose Hill opposite. Continuing along the path, I passed above the YHA at Rowland Cote and after passing Ollerbrook Clough, I followed the path down below the Eastern side of Ringing Roger and onwards down to the village of Grindsbrook Booth, which many know as Edale.

The Great Edge in Silhouette
The primary school were having a Christmas Fayre opposite the bench where I sat to finish off my flask of hot chocolate and a man dressed as Father Christmas with two Elves arrived sat in a trailer being towed by a pick-up truck!

Rowland Cote in the Valley and Lose Hill
After the the flask was empty, I followed the Pennine Way route back to Upper Booth and then retraced my earlier route along the road back to where I had parked at Barber Booth after a five hour walk at nearly 3:00 pm.
I sent a text to Karen to let her know I was planning to head for the café at Monyash at about 4:00pm and while I was at the café she arrived after finishing her digging in Water Icicle Close Cavern. Great News! Keith and Pete broke through in their dig to some impressive new extensions!
Later in the evening Keith and Pete joined us in the Miners Standard for an evening meal and then spent the night with is at home.

No comments: