Sunday 19 December 2010

A Return to Kinder

The forecast was for a sunny but very cold day and as Karen decided on an day relaxing at home, I though the best option was to have a walk on Kinder Scout as it is at its best on a clear and freezing day.
Although the roads were no problem, I arrived at the car park at Edale to find only 3 cars there which is a surprise on a Sunday with such excellent conditions. As I approached the car park there was an amazing view of the edge of Kinder Scout in bright sunshine with a cloud bank flowing over the top. I should have stopped and taken a photo!
I repeated the route Karen and I had walked recently, walking up the path below Ringing Roger then along the edge path. Sadly, as I neared the top of Ringing Roger, the cloud rolled in and it remained misty for the remainder of the walk.
I followed the path and after the top of Grindsbrook Booth took the path leading to the summit of Grindslow Knoll. I had put my crampons on after nearly slipping over a couple of times as there were often deep, frozen puddles beneath the snow.
At the summit of Grindslow Knoll I met a group of Asian youths out enjoying the conditions but they had arrived on mountain bikes. Unfortunately, they weren't really supposed to be there on mountain bikes as there are only footpaths in that area, which means walkers only.
Except for them, I had only seen a young female National Park Ranger, a solitary man out walking from Sheffield and a small group sitting down at the top of Grindsbrook Clough. It certainly was very quiet despite the excellent conditions.
I sat in the shelter of a boulder as there was a cold breeze blowing and had my sandwich and a drink of hot chocolate from my flask.
Finishing the snack, I dropped down the path from Grindslow Knoll then back to the car park where there were a few more cars.
 Edale Chucrh with a sunny Kinder Scout behind
 Starting the route up Ringing Roger
 Looking across to Grindsbrook Clough
 Mountain Hare tracks (with my boot for scale)
 A Frozen Boulder
 A Boulder covered with Hoar Frost
Animal Tracks (Grouse, Mountain Hare and something Very Small!)

No comments: