Monday 2 January 2012

A Return to Kinder Scout

Karen had a rest day while I made the most of the final day of the Christmas and New Year break by going for a walk on Kinder Scout again as the weather forecast was for a clear, dry but cold day.
Leaving the car at Upper Booth, I crossed the fields following the route of the Pennine Way towards the village of Grindsbrook Booth (which many refer to as “Edale”) then followed the path leading up Grindslow Knoll.
Reaching the cairn on top of Grindslow Knoll I was being blown about by the strong and very cold wind. The temperature was just over freezing so with this wind, the wind chill must have been very cold.
Since the wind was a westerly, I chose to follow the path along the edge towards Ringing Roger in the East.
I stopped in the shelter of a rocky tor for lunch then continued towards Ringing Roger where I dropped down the path leading below the rocks soon arriving at Grindsbrook Booth by the Old Nags Head Inn.
After following the beginning of the Pennine Way, I was soon back on the section I had begun my walk on earlier, then after leaving the Pennine Way route at the farm at Upper Booth, I walked back down the road to my starting point.






No comments: