Saturday 22 December 2012

A Wet Day on Kinder Scout

With a forecast for heavy rain and strong winds, Karen decided to stay at home and I went walking on Kinder Scout again. One of us probably has more sense, but I enjoyed it anyway.
I had the Barber Booth car park to myself when I arrived and after getting my boots on I set off in the rain along the road which was covered with deep puddles.
I left the road at the Upper Booth Farm and walked through the farmyard and then on the route tracing the Pennine Way towards Grindsbrook Booth. I left the route to Grindsbrook Booth where the route up Grindslow Knoll starts and made my way up in the continuing rain. So far there had been no wind but there was rain.
Near the summit of Grindslow Knoll, I didn't bother with the very top as it was misty but continued along the path along the side overlooking the drop down to Grindsbrook Clough where I could hear the roar from the water flowing off the plateau of Kinder down Grinds Brook. Even through the mist I could see all the white water in the brook down below.
I then continued northwards along the edge path and when I came to the usual crossing place where you can get past the northern branch of Grinds Brook, there was so much water I decided to continue onwards along the bank to see of I could find a place to cross to the other side. Not too far along the bank I found a spot where a couple of large boulders were placed not too far apart and I was able to carefully step across from bank to boulder then to the second boulder and then finally onto the opposite bank.
The rain became heavier and there was some wind blowing up from the vale of Edale across the plateau but it wasn't anywhere near the strength forecasted.
Normally by now I would be planning to find a convenient spot to have lunch but as it was raining, I pushed on.
Up to now I had seen absolutely no one else out walking, not a surprise considering the weather and the nearness to Christmas, but now I saw a couple of men walking towards me on their way in the opposite direction.
When I reached the area of Ringing Roger, I dropped down the path below the rocky rib of Ringing Roger which was basically a stream in most parts with all the run-off. Also the rain had lightened to a fine drizzle
When I eventually reached nearly the bottom of the zig-zag path I passed another man our walking in the opposite direction,
Near the bridge crossing Grinds Brook as it flows through Grindsbrook Booth there is a small stone-built barn with a wooden bench and I sat on that to eat my lunch and have drink from my flask.
I continued afterwards down the last bit of stone-flagged path and across the bridge to the village and then followed the start of the Pennine Way (or the end if you started in Scotland and walked southwards!) back to Upper Booth Farm and then back along the road to the car park.

The sheep thought it was wet as well!

High water levels

Normally a path - today a stream

The Grinds Brook as it passes the viallage

No comments: