Thursday 7 February 2013

DCRO Call-out for Sheep in P8

We had each received a SARCALL text message during the day about a DCRO call-out for this evening at 19:30 as some cavers had found a sheep in P8 not far from the entrance.
Karen and I drove to the RV point, a field further along the road from the usual parking layby for P8, Gautries Hole, etc. where Pete had already parked the DCRO vehicle with its blue lights flashing.
We found Alan also there and it had begun to snow a bit as we parked near the gate in the field.
Initially I thought the sheep was in Little Bull Pit as this had been mentioned in the message but that was just identifying the rendezvous point. I asked Alan where Little Bull Pit was as I knew it wasn't too far from the road and he pointed towards some small trees not far away.
I collected my head torch from my car, pulled up the hood on my jacket because of the snow and walked over towards the trees on the frozen ground.
I ducked under some small branches and then stepped forward and felt a painful scrape on the top of my head. “Ouch!” I thought, “That hurt!”.
I put my hand to my head and found it was bleeding and also could feel a split in my scalp. Rats. I must have caught the end of a small branch with my head.
I walked back to the DCO van with my palm pressing down on the wound and asked for a bandage. Soon one was found and I replaced the blood-soaked tissue I had been using, which Karen had given me and plonked the gauze pad on the would.
After asking where the nearest Accident and Emergency room would be, Chris, who had since arrived, suggested the Minor Injuries unit in Buxton which he thought was open until around 20:00. We had arrived early and it was just after 19:00 so we left the others to it as Alan had said there were plenty of others expected and with Karen driving my car, we headed back towards Buxton, which was on the way home anyway.
We were soon seen to and a nurse cleaned the wound, saying it looked clean anyway – probably as my hood had been between the end of the branch and my head – and then she applied medical adhesive (basically a form of “Super Glue”, which was originally designed for sticking wounds back together) to the wound to hold it. By now it had stopped bleeding anyway.
So, we were back home by 20:10 after an “exciting” evening.
And the rest of the DCRO members had quickly retrieved the caving sheep back to the surface where it quickly wandered off back to the pastureland.

No comments: