Sunday 28 April 2013

Kinder Scout

Karen continued to have a rest day as here shoulder was still injured. I drove to the layby at Upper Booth and parked up just before 10:00.
After getting my boots on I set off along the road and track to Jacob's Ladder, the Pennine Way route, and followed the long set of rough stone steps up to the plateau. On the way, I was passed by a group of middle-aged men who seemed to be going quite quickly, but not long afterwards I passed one of them who ended up trailing a long way behind the other three and then again passed the rest of them as they were resting up at Edale Rocks.
The forecast was for a mostly cloudy day with possible showers but luckily it remained dry.
I decided to stay on the southern edge and because of the strong westerly wind (which was why I had started by following the Jacob's Ladder path so that I would have the strong wind behind me most of the day).
From Edale Rocks I headed towards Kinder Low and not very far from the Trig Point, I set off across the pathless section of moor towards the large rocky tor known as The Pagoda in the distance, which is on the southern edge.
As I was well away from the usual routes taken by walkers, I saw a mountain hare as it bounded away. I also had heard the cry of the curlew quite a lot, even just after leaving the layby below.
Soon I was following the mixture of well-worn path and slabbed sections which follows near the southern edge.
I continued onwards and when I reached the junction of the paths formed by the path continuing to Grindsbrook Clough along with the path which veered off to the right in the direction of Grindslow Knoll, I followed the route to the top of Grindslow Knoll.
The top of the Knoll was by far the windiest section of Kinder I experienced today and I quickly dropped off the top following the path leading southwards and soon was following the remaining path which dropped very steeply down to the lower Crowden river valley and then the path leading across the fields from Grindsbrook Booth to Upper Town Farm.
I followed the path back through the farm and then along the road to the layby which was my starting point.
As I was getting my car keys out of my rucksack, I left my walking poles on the car roof and then forgot that I had done so. So of course they fell off somewhere after I drove off. Rats.

No comments: