Saturday 9 November 2013

Kinder Scout

Karen had luckily managed to get a trip into the Speedwell Cavern system with a group we know after one person dropped out of the trip – so there was no room for me! Because of that, we were up early for a Saturday and I set off to park at the layby at Upper Booth arriving just after 0900. Not surprising, mine was the first car of the day.
After getting my boots on I walked along the road passing Upper Booth Farm with the coolest weather for a long while and made my way towards Jacobs Ladder to gain the Kinder plateau near Edale Rocks.
It had been a bit frosty fist thing and some of the large slabs making up the path were slippery so I was careful as I walked on them.
After passing the Pagoda (a large gritstone formation near the plateau edge) I made my way through the natural sculpture park known as The Woolpacks (or Whipsnade). The weather was cold with a sharp wind but with excellent visibility and long sunny periods with occasional cloudy sections.
After passing the tops of the brooks at Crowden Clough and Grindsbrook Clough, I decided to follow the northern branch of Grind Brook for a few hundred metres to reach the shelter of Four Jacks Cabin. This is a small 2 metre by 2 metre drystone-wall structure with only parts of the walls remaining. However, it is next to the brook and has a number of flat stone slabs inside to sit while sheltering from any wind.
Here I boiled up some of the peat-stained water from the brook to make a brew and eat my sandwich for lunch.
Afterwards, I followed back along the brook the way I had come earlier and then continued on the southern edge path above Grindsbrook Clough heading in the direction of Ringing Roger.
I dropped down the path which follows parallel to and below the rocky ridge of Ringing Roger and made my way to Grindsbrook Booth.

From there, I followed the route of the Pennine Way back to Upper Booth Farm and then to my starting point.






No comments: