Saturday 15 February 2014

Kinder Scout

I was supposed to be going to North Wales last night for the annual Orpheus Caving Club weekend at the Oread Mountaineering Club's hut in Rhyd Ddu near Beddgelert but the weather forecast was atrocious so I stayed at home instead.
The forecast for the Peak District was not a lot different. According to the Mountain Weather Information website “Frequent to near constant precipitation throughout the day. Snow above about 600m. Rain lower slopes.” and “Walking difficult on higher areas, with considerable buffeting. Severe wind chill. Sunshine unlikely. Visibility appalling or near zero in cloud and snow.” . At least I could go walking here in similar weather without a long drive to begin with!
So, it was another return to Kinder Scout, Karen electing to remain warm and dry indoors.
I arrived at the car park in Edale to find only one other car parked there, not surprising considering the weather.
So, after getting my walking boots on, I set off for a circuit of the southern edge of the plateau by walking up Grindslow Knoll and descending below Ringing Roger. As the wind was south-westerly this meant most of the time it was coming from behind me instead of right in the face, but this didn't prevent me passing several groups of walkers walking in the opposite direction. Perhaps they like the wind in their faces, especially when mixed with large rain drops or stinging hailstones?
Anyway, I only stopped once for a quick drink of coffee while standing on the lee side of a large boulder.
There was quite a lot of patches of snow and mostly slush around after recent snow showers and when I got to the place where I usually cross the northern branch of Grinds Brook I found the water levels were too high to cross there so I had to walk a short way upstream to find a narrow enough crossing point.

It was nice to get back to the sheltered village afterwards and to have a snack in the National Trust's “Penny Pot cafĂ©” near the car park.

Everywhere was very wet


The usual Grinds Brook crossing point was very wet!


A small waterfall blowing upwards

No comments: