Saturday 8 March 2014

Kinder Downfall

As Karen was having a luxurious day visiting the spa she went to with workmates before, I had the day to entertain myself and decided on a walk on Kinder again!
I parked at Upper Booth layby and set off along the Pennine Way route from Upper Booth Farm before veering off left to follow Crowden Clough to reach the plateau after that short bit of nice scrambling at the top. The top was very misty but the weather forecast was for the mist to clear arounf Noon.
I followed the path along the edge of the plateau in the mist as far as the prominent rocky feature known as Noe Stool. While making my way through the Woolpacks I met a trio of walkers who had stopped on the path for a minute. We were chatting about the weather, as you do, and one of them mentioned he had been on Kinder some years ago on a similar misty day and had got lost for 10 hours! This time he brought a guidebook and was keeping a careful eye on their progress to make sure they didn't get lost this time.
I decided to take a short cut across to Kinder Low as I wanted to have a look at Kinder Downfall as there was still quite a lot of surface water about and it was quite windy so the Downfall should be putting on a good show.
I set a route using the map and compass to aim for the Trig Point at Kinder Low and soon found a vague path heading in the right direction. As the forecast predicted, the mist suddenly cleared just after Noon and there looming out of the mist straight ahead was the white painted Trig Point set on a large gritstone boulder.
Form there I followed the path on the opposite edge heading towards the Downfall passing the obvious small gully and valley formed by Red Brook and when I was around 1 kilometre away from the Downfall I saw some smoke in that direction and wondered whether there was a fire. Suddenly I realised it wasn't smoke at all: it was the water from the Downfall being blasted up in the air by the wind!
I soon reached some of the rocks near the waterfall and took some photos and started looking for a place sheltered from the wind to sit and have lunch. The ideal spot was already taken by a couple so I walked on further towards the Downfall for a closer look.
I then retraced my steps back the way I came and saw that the ideal spot I had seen before was no unoccupied, so I made myself comfortable and sat and had lunch.

Once I had finished lunch, I again retraced my previous route and then continued along the path passing the Trig Point at Kinder Low heading for Edale Rocks. From there I followed the slabbed path from Edale Rocks down the Jacobs Ladder route and then soon was back at my starting point.

No comments: