Tuesday 15 April 2014

Cova de Sa Campana

Today was a caving day – and it was supposed to be an easy caving day (bearing in mind my injured ankle) as Boyd was telling me that they had got Elaine Hilyard and Jackie Stewart (Ashleigh Richardson's mother) down most of the cave on the previous Club trip to Mallorca.
Karen , Keith and I set off after Boyd, Brian, Dave, Waggy, and Ashley back along the main road the same as yesterday but continued past Lluc and then took the turning towards Sa Calobra near the end of the Torrent de Pareis.
About two kilometres from Sa Calobra we stopped at a small pull-in with traces of a burnt out car (including small pieces of melted aluminium alloy)! Once we got things sorted, we waited while Keith and Boyd searched for the route to the cave . Keith had diappeared and Boyd returned to tell us he had found a “path”.
Off we went on a route which started with some easy scrambling, fair enough. But then it continued and I was wearing my lightweight Inov8 Roclite 315 shoes as I was told we would follow a path to the cave. I was also carrying all my caving gear in a large tackle bag as it was warm and I was told we would follow a path to the cave.
Soon we were on steeper stuff and my injured ankle was really complaining – the Inov8 shoes have zero ankle support! We were about 30 metres or more higher than the car and still the steep rock continued above.. I told Karen I had had enough and she reached down to give me the key to our rented car.
I clambered back down again with my tackle bag of caving gear not helping and finally reached the car again. I opened the windows and had a drink of fruit juice and water.
I sat in the car and dozed a bit on and off listening to the shouts of endless streams of cyclists passing close by on the road and coaches beeping their horns as the approached a nearby sharp and narrow bend in the road.
A L-O-N-G time later I heard rustling in the bushes and Boyd appeared in his caving gear and then got changed. Not long afterwards Simon and Sean arrived in their rented car after their trip to wherever they had spent the day. Eventually others started arriving, including Keith and Karen plus Ashley.
We hung around until 19:30 then drove to Sa Calobra once we saw Waggy had arrived back from the cave and Boyd reappeared with Brian and were making their way back down the steep ground.
Simon was leaving his car overnight for the Sa Fosca canyoning trip tomorrow and after a quick look around (not much to see!), we headed back to the apartments.

Not much of an exciting day – for me at least.








No comments: