Saturday 19 July 2014

Kinder Scout

Karen was accompanying her friend from Rugby, Lorraine, around the various gardens in Winster during the annual Winster Secret Gardens weekend.
There were country-wide weather warnings for thunder storms and torrential rain for today so I decided against my original planned trip to Snowdonia and stay in the Peak. I thought I would drive to Edale and see what the weather looked like and maybe have a walk on Kinder Scout.
There was a bit of light rain as I drove to Edale village and managed to find a parking space near the Old Nags Head Inn. Then some light rain started to fall as I was putting my boots on so I also git my waterproof over-trousers on and set off along the start of the Pennine Way heading towards Jacobs Ladder.
I veered off the Pennine Way route to walk up Crowden Clough and luckily there was a break in the rain so I could remove my waterproofs as it was still fairly warm at around 20 degreed centigrade.
I followed the southern edge path and was soon stopped by a couple asking where the path marked in the map heading towards Kinder Downfall started. I explained the marked route was simply marking a public right of way and wasn't actually a defined path you could see on the ground and they were happy to continue on the edge path instead to reach the Downfall even though it was a bit longer.
It began to rain again and a bit heavier than before so I stopped to get my waterproofs back on again. I passed several walkers walking in the opposite direction including a man in T-shirt, shorts and sandals who was absolutely soaked but seemed still cheerful!
I had a scout around the craggy section of Ringing Roger as I made my way off Kinder to see if I could find a sheltered spot to eat my lunch but there wasn't anywhere out of the rains so I continued on down the ridge.
As I followed down the lower section, I met two young men walking slowly upwards wearing camouflage pattern trousers, T-shirts and wearing huge military rucksacks. They saw me and one remarked that I seemed better prepared as they had though it would be “T-shirt weather”! I just mentioned I had simply check the weather forecast!

Anyway, luckily there had been no sign of thunderstorm and it was a nice walk despite the weather.

No comments: