Saturday 21 June 2008

Maskhill Mine / OCC BBQ, Peak District

A group of us met in the drizzle at the OCC Hut - as expected since it was BBQ day! Dawn joined me and Karen while Chris J. joined Pete C. and Keith to have a trip down Maskhill Mine. Keith rigged and we followed down. At Murmuring Churn I waited in last place to see Dawn could cope OK with the awkward pitch-head and she got past this without a problem. I then got to the pitch-head and after removing my descender I realised the loop from the upper rope seemed quite short and getting back up from the Y hang on the ascent would be a bit of a struggle. In order to avoid damage to my weak shoulder I decided to stop there. Rats! I waited for some time in case anyone else turned back then got bored and made my way out slowly which was enjoyable.
I got to the surface after 4:30pm and sat in the mist and drizzle. After some time I thought I might drop down the entrance pitch and was just unlocking my descender and noticed a light further down! So I got back onto the surface and after a time Dawn arrived. All had got to Oxlow Cavern and were returning with Pete and Chris arriving next followed by Karen and Keith bringing up the rear.
Returning back to the hut we stood in the light rain as the main BBQ was busy and Karen and I used a disposable BBQ set up by the tackle store. Eventually after some 6 pints of Pedigree (Boyd had paid for on of the two barrels to celebrate his recent 70th birthday so it was £1 per pint) I noticed Karen and Pete had retired to bed so I did the same. In the morning I was lucky as I didn't have the hangover I might have had - but was a little "delicate"!

No comments: