Saturday 6 February 2010

Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) via South Ridge and Rhyd Ddu Path

Karen decide to have a restful weekend and stay at home so I travelled alone last night to the Oread Mountaineering Club's hut “Tan y Wyddfa” in Rhyd Ddu near Beddgelert, which the Orpheus Caving Club book for a weekend each February.
Already there were Boyd and Jenny, Frank and Trish, Rod Clayton, Steve White, Derek Freeman, Ashley Richards, Coke, Chris Barrat, John Pratt, Helen, Kev Drakely and his girlfriend and Ned.
Tan y Wyddfa
We walked down the road to the pub – the Cwellyn Arms – where although good, the beer is not cheap at around £3.30 a pint (locally a pint is well under £3.00).
The weather forecast was excellent for the whole weekend and, luckily, it turned out to be correct. There were cloudy patches and short periods of mist but both days were mostly cold, dry and largely sunny with little wind.
After getting up at 08.30 and having breakfast and making up a flask of hot chocolate, I set off straight from the hut at 09.15 crossing the restored Welsh Highland Railway and followed the track leading through old slate quarries and soon reached the Bwlch-Cwm Llan between Snowdon and Yr Aran with views down to the Watkin Path below.
After crossing the wall, a short section of steep loose ground led to stone steps starting up Snowdon's South Ridge. After the steps, the ridge was broader with increasing views all around, short sections of easy scrambling until I reached a sloping, grassy area. The worn path was covered with snow and it was easier to follow the grassy sections next to the path. Soon I reached the beginning of the snow remaining on the higher ground so I stopped and put on my crampons and got the ice axe out.
 Snowdon's South Ridge

In a short distance I passed the route down, the Rhyd Ddu Path, reached a level but narrow section of path with good views of the summit and down to Glaslyn and Llyn Llydaw. I passed Bwlch Main and after a short steeper section of hard-packed snow, I reached the summit station.
The summit station has been rebuilt in the past year or two and is an improvement on the old rectangular concrete building which it replaced. It was around 11.00 and there were a number of other walkers milling about (the Snowdon Railway doesn't run in winter so there were no tourists taking the train up and of course the station and cafe were locked up for the winter) especially on the very large cairn at the actual summit.
 Looking down at Snowdon's Summit Station
I had a look around the summit looking across to Crib Goch on one side and Y Lliwedd on the other side making up the Snowdon Horseshoe. Luckily it was mostly clear with sun and wispy, fluffy clouds moving up the valley with Capel Curig in the distance covered in low cloud.
 Part of Crib Goch
I returned down a short way back the way I came and sat on some rocks to have my lunch, being intently watched by a couple of seagulls! As I was eating my lunch, Boyd and Ashley appeared and after a quick chat, they headed for the summit cairn.
 Seagulls waiting for my lunch!
After lunch was finished, I set off back the way I came and met Steve and Derek coming along the narrow bit and I returned back to the summit with them as it wasn't that far away. We sat on a wall leading from the station and had a snack and hot drink then spotted Kev with his girlfriend.
I said bye to the other two as they were planning to descend via the Snowdon Ranger Path and I again headed back down towards Bwlch Main when I met Trish, Rod and Ned coming up. After another quick chat, they headed for the summit and I continued on down part of the South Ridge, then left it to follow the Rhyd Ddu Path. Soon I was following the lower reaches of the Rhyd Ddu Path and found that there were loads of cairns marking the way. Why there were so many, I have no idea – there were at least twenty in the space of 50 metres or so!
 Cairns on Rhyd Ddu Path
Following the lower paved section and passing through three gates, I soon reached a junction with the track I had followed on the way up earlier in the day. I retraced my earlier route and arrived back at “Tan y Wyddfa” at around 15.10 to find no one around.
 View of Cwm Dyli and Snowdon Horseshoe
I sorted out my gear and had a shower and then thought I might drive to Beddgelert to get some food for tomorrow's lunch but changed my mind due to the time of year and the time of day – there probably were no shops open.
So I returned to the hut and after making a cup of tea and making a sandwich, Boyd and Ashley arrived back from their walk closely followed by Steve and Derek.
Gradually the others also arrived and after sitting in the living room with a fire going, they all set off for Beddgelert at 18.15 for a meal leaving myself and Ashley. I planned on just cooking some pasta for a meal and thought Beddgelert would be busy as it certainly was as I drove through last night.
Ashley left to make a phone call from the telephone box down the road as there was no mobile phone reception in the area. I followed a short while later to give Karen a call and afterwards tripped on a small step in the pavement and fell over grazing my knee and thumb! D'oh!
Anyway, I returned back to the hut and read a bit then the others arrived back from their meals and after sitting around until about 22.00, I headed for bed followed by some of the others.
I wore my Paramo Cascada trousers, Paramo Summit Hoodie and Paramo Fuera Ascent jacket. Also Asolo Powermatic 200 GTX boots and Osprey Kestrel 38 rucksack.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Hey... I love the photo of the seaguls!