Saturday 5 March 2011

Kinder Scout

Karen was visiting family and friends in Rugby since Thursday and she was returning later this evening so I took myself off to Kinder again.
The weather was misty and drizzly but the forecast was for it to improve through the day. Unfortunately, the forecast was wrong and the drizzle and light rain remained for most of the day.
Leaving the car at Barber Booth, I followed the road leading towards Jacob's Ladder and turned off at the path by the farm where the Pennine Way is signposted as it heads towards Jacob's Ladder on its way from Edale to Kirk Yetholm.
The path follows Crowden Brook which flows down from the Kinder Scout plateau via Crowden Clough and I followed it to reach the lovely but short scramble near the top which brought me to the path which skirts the southern edge of the plateau.
It had been clear lower down but on the plateau it was quite misty as I followed the path all the way around above the village of Grindsbrook Booth until I reached the path dropping beneath the rocky gritstone ridge of Ringing Roger.
I paused at a promontory which overlooks the village and a large proportion of the Edale Valley which is at a bend in the zig-zag path leading down from Ringing Roger via The Nab and had a drink from my flask and a snack.
Afterwards I continued down to the village and the near The Old Nags Head Inn followed the start of the Pennine Way back across several fields until I walked through the farmyard belonging to the farm where I had left the road earlier in the day.
All that remained was to walk the short distance back to where I had left the car and then after a quick stop in Hathersage for lunch at the café at Outside, I headed for home.





No comments: