Sunday 27 February 2011

Knotlow Cavern

As Karen woke up with a headache and sore throat she stayed in bed while I had breakfast and collected my caving gear.
We had intended a trip to P8 so that I could get my oversuit clean but even though Karen was not now going caving, I drover to the Orpheus cottage anyway to see what was happening,
Mick Hogg was there on his first visit for many moths still recovering from a bout of appendicitis and wanted to do something involving SRT which wasn't too or strenuous so I suggested Knotlow Cavern.
After sitting around drinking tea to see if the light rain would let up, we eventually headed for Monyash at nearly noon and luckily had the Triangle to ourselves as others had told us that they had been there last week or the week before and almost had difficulty finding a place to park as it was so busy!
We dropped down the Climbing Shaft and the second pitch into Pearl Chamber. Continuing on into the cave to the Waterfall Pitch, Mick decided he would wait at the top while I rigged the traverse and dropped down the pitch.
There was quite a lot of water in the waterfall and as I hadn't rigged the lower deviation, I swung in the water a bit so managed to wash my oversuit after all!
I stopped on the rope when I reached the waterfall and then changed over to prusiking and returned to the top of the pitch.
After de-rigging we continued out and I waited by the Climbing Shaft on the surface with the rope from the Waterfall Pitch ready to drop down to Mick to provide some assistance if he needed it but he didn't in the end.
After a quick trip to the cafe in Monyash, we returned to the hut.

No comments: