Sunday 13 February 2011

Kinder Scout

Karen, Keith and Pete planned a trip to Cascade Cavern, which is behind the Public Toilets at the top of Lathkill Dale, to see what it was like. The description in the new “Caves of the Peak District” didn't sound very promising, plus it's length was given as only 125 feet. I decided to go for a walk on Kinder instead despite the weather forecast of wind and rain.
I parked up at the large Public car park at Edale and headed off in the light drizzle towards the old start of the Pennine Way via Grindsbrook. This used to be the “official” route of the start of the Pennine Way with the route via Jacob's Ladder being an alternative before it was changed to the Jacob's Ladder route.
It was a bit wet with some wind as I walked along the broad, eroded path along the Grindsbrook Valley. The top of the Kinder plateau was enveloped in cloud and mist with the mist and cloud making the valley very atmospheric.
As I reached a rocky section where the path dwindled, there were the obvious signs of a large strip of soil and rocks having been washed down by heavy rain in the near past.
I continued scrambling up and over the boulders a I made my way up to the top of the valley and arrived at the path running along the plateau's edge.
Now the rain was a bit heavier, but the wind was much, much stronger.
I followed the path along the edge being blown around by the strong gust wind and after a while got my walking poles out to help in walking with the strong wind blowing from one side.
When I reached the path which drops back down towards Edale running below Ringing Roger, I followed this downwards taking care on the muddy and wet section at the top which is steep and rough.
Soon I was back down below cloud level with views down into Edale and also across to my ascent route with the broad well-worn path clearly visible in the distance.
Once back near the bottom of the valley, the wind was very light but still the rain continued.

No comments: