Saturday 14 May 2011

Kinder Scout

Karen was away for the day on a “Bird Race” in Northhamptonshire and I went for a walk on Kinder Scout.
Since there was a strongish Westerly or South-Westerly wind, I decided to start via Jacob's Ladder then follow the path along the edge and drop down again below Ringing Roger so that the wind would be behind me most of the time.
I parked at the layby near Barber Booth and set off with the temperature quite cool and just after the old packhorse bridge, to avoid a large group starting up the stepped section, I followed the dog-leg alternative to the left.
As I was getting quite warm, I unzipped the hood and sleeves section of the Third Element Jacket and continued.
Along the path below Edale Rocks, I took advantage of the shelter offered by a boulder to replace the hood and sleeves section as it was now noticeably cooler with the gain in height.
When I reached the large area large area of gritstone boulders known as “The Woolpacks” I followed a path wending its way among them until I arrived at the rocky tor of Crowden Tower. There was a rainy squall blowing so I took advantage of the shelter offered by the boulder to sit for a while and have lunch.
As it seemed that the rain wasn't going to stop any time soon, I got my waterproof overtrousers on and was about to continue on my way when a couple approached and the man asked about the way to Kinder Downfall. I pointed out that it was on the opposite side of the Kinder plateau and there isn't really a path and they would have to navigate across the peat bog to reach it. They seemed happier to just return to Edale and I suggested they follow the route down via Grindslow Knoll as they had come up the Grindsbrook Clough route.
I continued on my way following the path along the edge passing quite a lot of walkers going in the opposite direction head down into the wind.
I dropped down the path below Ringing Roger to soon reach Edale village (Grindsbrook Booth) and as I started on the Pennine Way route near the Old Nags Head pub, I met the couple I had met earlier just arriving after their trip via Grindslow Knoll.
Continuing on the Pennine Way route as far as Barber Booth farm, I left the route back at the road where I had started earlier in the day.

Photos of some of  "The Woolpacks"




No comments: