Sunday 10 July 2011

Kinder Scout

After parking at the car park near Barber Booth, I followed the route of the Pennine Way towards Grindsbrook Booth village (usually known as Edale village) but veered off by the top of Coopers Farm camp site to follow up Grindslow Knoll which was a warm job when the sun was out.
From the summit of Grindslow Knoll I continued to the top of Grindsbrook Clough and following on of the peaty groughs, I walked Westwards to reach the top of Crowden Clough. Then by a combination of either following the sandy bottom of the grough or a bit of a path along the side until the large grough petered out leading me to a large peaty area typical of Kinder. Luckily the peat is still very dry despite recent rain so I continued heading due West with the occasional smaller groughs to cross, plus the odd mountain hare sprinting away as I approached, until I reached the edge path not far South of Red Brook.
So far it had been warm, or fairly hot during the sunny periods in between the clouds and despite a few darker clouds, it remained dry. I stopped near some large gritstone rocks overlooking the very low Kinder Reservoir and ate my lunch.
Next I followed the edge path Southwards, then veered off near the trig point of Kinder Low and again crossed the large peaty expanse of Kinder until I arrived once again at the main feeder for Crowden Brook.
Following the beginnings of Crowden Brook I soon arrived at the rocky Crowden Tower where Crowden Brook spills off the plateau and began following down the very steep path leading down one side of Crowden Clough to reach the path leading along the brook.
I followed this back to the farm at Upper Booth and then along the road to where I had started. As I drove past the top of Winnats Pass towards Sparrowpit there was quite a heavy shower so I had managed to stay dry.
After stopping off at Outside at Calver, I continued to Winster.

No comments: