Monday 29 August 2011

Bull Pot, Kingsdale


Again the day started with breakfast at Bernies. Today was forecasted as possible showers of light drizzle and as we wanted a relatively short trip, it was suggested to visit Bull Pot in Kingsdale.
We said “goodbye” to Mark who had to head for home leaving Mike, Keith, Karen and myself to first have breakfast (at Bernies, surprise, surprise) then head for Kingsdale.
As we were changing in a layby in Kingsdale a van with a couple of cavers stopped and asked if we were planning on Bull Pot – it turned out that they were as well.
Anyway, the other pair had changed first and were heading up the valley side towards the cave as we followed a little while later. Again, Keith was on rigging duty as we followed behind the other pair down Bull Pot.
The usual entrance pitch using the in-situ P bolts was already rigged by the first pair and I suggested to Keith to try using the alternative two Petzl stainless steel resin bolts in the large boulder above the open pot as these seemed to give a clear hang to the bottom without the need for a deviation like the P bolt route. There was a convenient extra P bolt to act a s back up and this alternative rig seemed better than the other.
The other pair had begun the approach to the second pitch using the traverse approach which presumably is there for wetter conditions and Keith followed their example. Again, in case I damaged my shoulder I decided to walk along the floor a short way down and then as I was able to climb up just before the pitch and clip my long cowstail into the rope, I was able to safely approach the Y-hang without using the traverse.
I dropped down last once Mike had shouted “Rope free” and then followed down the Slot alternative third pitch to the chamber below.
The approach to the fourth pitch is via a traverse which is a bit constricted and awkward (well it is for someone of my size!) so I decided to just pack it in there and wait while the others continued as there was just one more nearby pitch to the final sump and end of the cave.
The other pair were now on their way out an Karen told them I was waiting at the top of the fourth pitch so they could continue on their way out. Soon the first caver was up and groaning as he made his way off the top of the pitch and along the traverse saying “I hate this bit, it's always hard!”. Then once they had de-rigged the pitch and continued to the nearby chamber below the third pitch I heard “I hate this bit!”
It makes you wonder why he bothered!
Anyway, I waited for a while and soon heard the others returning. Mike was up first with a tackle bag holding the rope for the final pitch (plus originally the rope for the entrance pitch) so I took this off him and started making by way back up the pitches.
I was soon on the surface at around 13:00 and within half an hour, joined by the other three.
In order to beat the Bank Holiday Monday traffic, we all went straight home afterwards – although Karen and I stopped off at Greenclose on the way to collect our gear and then return the key to the New Inn and collect the £10 deposit.

No comments: