Saturday 20 August 2011

Kinder Scout


A different route for a change. Karen was entertaining her friend Lorraine who was visiting from Rugby and I decided on a walk. Leaving the car at the Barber Booth car park, I walked up the road to Barber Booth, then followed the Pennine Way route to Grindsbrook Booth. After a short visit to the village shop, I continued on the Public Footpath opposite the church across to Ollerbrook Farm.
From the farm, an old sunken track led up the sloping fields behind the farm buildings following Oller Brook and into Oller Brook Clough.
The sunken track dwindled away leaving a narrow footpath leading onwards and where a field wall headed steeply up to the right, I followed this wall which was very steep but thankfully not very long until the ground levelled out next to a small ruined building incorrectly marked as “sheep fold” on the map.
From here I contoured up the slope for a short while then found a sloping path which continued up to the path along this edge of the Kinder plateau above Rowland Cote Moor and Edale Youth Hostel.
I followed the path along the edge, with views across to the Great Ridge along the Edale Valley and gradually other views opened up with Derwent Edge in the distance, Ladybower Reservoir, the Alport Valley (where we were last week) and the road below threading its way along the Snake Pass as I reached the prominent point of Crookstone Knoll.
There were clouds of flying insects which seemed harmless and were more intent on mating as I paused to take some photos. These turned out to be Heather Flies. These are quite distinctive as they fly around slowly with quite long rear legs which dangle beneath them as they fly.
I continued along the edge above Ashop Moor until near the Trig. Point at 590 metres altitude, I left the path to head South for a few hundred metres to soon reach the fence surrounding the area above Ringing Roger.
I crossed the fence using a stile and at the fence on the opposite side again crossed the fence using a second stile and then made my way down the crest of Ringing Roger and then followed the remaining path to Grindsbrook Booth.
All that remained was to retrace my route back to the car park at Barber Booth.







No comments: