Saturday 3 November 2012

Kinder Scout

Karen was visiting friends in Rugby and I had another visit to Kinder Scout.
It was cold as I set off from home, around 5 degrees Centigrade and I parked in the car park at Grindsbrook Booth (Edale).
I walked up to the village centre and then followed the start of the Pennine Way opposite the Old Nags Head Inn, following a footpath next to Coopers Farm as far as a junction of footpaths.
Leaving the route of the Pennine Way, I struck off to follow the path leading up to the summit of Grindsbrook Knoll. Since my last visit, a lot of work has been done on this path towards the top and a large section is know paved with rock including a stretch of steps where the path steepens.
It was supposed to be 2 degrees Centigrade at the level of the Kinder Plateau with a chance of showers and maybe even thunder so I wasn't surprised when it began to sleet as I neared the summit and then quite a heavy rain shower with a strong wind blowing towards me.
I sheltered behind a boulder and removed my Paramo Aspira Smock and put on a Rab PowerStrech top while I had the chance of some shelter in case the smock wasn't enough for the conditions – I normally only wear a thermal shirt beneath a Paramo jacket or smock.
From the Knoll, I made my way across to the path along the plateau edge and then followed this path past the top of Grindsbrook Clough and then on reaching the branch of Grinds Brook which heads north across the Kinder plateau, I followed this stream for a few hundred metres and when I reached the ruins of a small drystone-walled cabin, I had a sit down and some drink from my flask.
Continuing afterwards along the stream I got my GPS receiver out of my rucksack and after switching it on found a waypoint I had stored in it some years ago when I had found the remains of an aircraft wreck which I knew was not too far away.
I followed the route indicated by the GPS receiver for around 300 metres and soon found the remains of a Dragon Rapide.
The story of this wreck is “Both crew members Captain Dennis Holmes and Co-Pilot John McWhirter survived the crash, December 30th 1963. This was a civilian flight, a company called Solair Flying Services from Birmingham. The Rapide had been used for a photographic survey, and was returning to the midlands from Teeside.
With concerns for their fuel level, Captain Holmes decided to divert to Manchester, and headed straight across the Pennines. Flying close to the ground, the Rapide was hit by a downdraught and struck the moor. Fortunately there was no fire as both men were injured and could only wait for help to arrive.” See http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/peakdistrict/peakdistrictG-ALBC.htm for more information.
In the meantime a mist had descended on the plateau an I could hear shouting in the distance to the west. I walked a short distance in the direction of the shouting but I could no longer hear it any more, especially with the noise of the wind.
I plotted a course from my map to take me back to the stream I had been following earlier and soon found it again near the ruined cabin.
After retracing my previous route back to the path along the plateau edge, I followed this path eastwards with the wind from behind and after a short break in the shelter of some boulders to have a flapjack for lunch, I made my way to Ringing Roger and then down the Nab, passing more path construction using pieces of rock with large bags of more rock bits awaiting laying on the path.
Soon I was making my way back to the village and then back to the car park.
In the evening we went to see a talk by Sir Chris Bonington at Buxton Opera House. It was a very entertaining talk about his life as climber and mountaineer illustrated with projected photos and clips of video. Now 78 and still climbing whenever he has the chance, Bonington was very modest and didn't often point out as he talked about various peaks and routes on mountains he had climber, that they were mostly first ascents of first British ascents.






No comments: