Saturday 17 November 2012

Kinder Scout

Another trip to Kinder Scout while Karen spent the week-end visiting our friends who live on the Isle of Man.
I left a little earlier in the morning than usual and arrived at the Upper Booth car park at around 9:45 to find the provided spaces already full except for a single space and the two spaces reserved for disabled drivers, which was surprising as the weather wasn't supposed to be brilliant.
It seemed to be a large walking group had planned on a walk in the area and pretty nearly filled up the car park.
Anyway, I got my boots on and set off towards Upper Booth Farm and then through the farm yard and across the fields to where the start of the Pennine Way leaves Grindsbrook Booth and is signposted for Grindslow Knoll.
It was chilly with a bit of a wind but with mist and clouds blowing across the Kinder plateau as I followed the path leading up to the top of Grindslow Knoll. There were one or two short breaks in the cloud allowing the sun to break through as I neared the top, but these were short-lived and it remained misty as I went across to the large worn area at the head of Grindsbrook Clough wear the heaviest traffic occurs as most approach the Kinder Plateau via this route.
From there I followed the path along the edge of the plateau heading towards Crowden Tower and as I reached the point where the Crowden Brook tumbles over the bouldery edge to make its way down Crowden Clough, I followed the branch of the riverbed which heads north and either walked along the sandy and rocky bed of the river or followed a narrow path on the peat above.
At any junctions where other water channels joined, I check I was still heading in the right direction by keeping an eye on my compass and when the Crowden Brook became too narrow to follow itself, I left it and started making my way across the featureless peat bog which makes up the area called Crowden Head.
There were a few deep groughs or channels worn in the peat made by water which meant a bit of a meandering route but again I kept a very careful watch on the compass as with the mist, it would be very easy to veer off in the wrong direction.
My goal was to join the River Kinder on the other side of the plateau and then follow that to the waterfall known as Kinder Downfall. As well as having to navigate carefully, I was mindful of the several recent Mountain Rescue call-outs as a result of walkers becoming stuck in sections of peat bog which was very wet due to the wet summer we have had,
I reached another sandy-bedded stream in a deep grough heading in the right direction with the water flowing north or north-west, which is what I wanted and I started to follow this stream.
Soon I saw the odd cairn which is good news and then at a large junction of a larger stream with the one I had been following, there was a very large cairn and I was pretty sure this larger section was the River Kinder and I had been following one of its tributaries.
Soon a welcome sight loomed out of the mist: the pair of large gritstone buttresses wither side of the river which are called Kinder Gates. I was now certain this was indeed the River Kinder and all I had to do was make my way easily along the sandy river bed or along a path which followed along side it.
I reached the large Kinder Downfall where the water crashes down towards the huge rocky amphitheatre below, unless the prevailing wind is so strong that it actually blows the water back up in the air before it has had a chance to land.
I sat on a boulder which seemed to be sheltered from the cold wind and had a hot drink and a snack,
While I was doing this, momentarily, it got a bit brighter and I thought maybe there might be a break in the mist but that never happened. Then it seemed to get a bit darker.
I finished my drink and set off again along the path following this edge of the plateau and when I reached a wider area with no obvious path I headed towards the rig point at Kinder Low which soon loomed out of the mist.
Meanwhile the very fine drizzle caused by the mist began to increase in size and was soon becoming a light rain shower.
I checked the map in the shelter of the large boulder on which the trig point column is mounted and found the bearing for my next location, Edale Rocks. This was to the south and I made my way following the compass across the boggy and heathery ground.
As expected, the large rocky tor if Edale Rocks soon appeared out of the mist and I sat on the leeward side making use of a large over-hanging section to provide an excellent shelter from the wind and rain and finished off my hot drink.
Afterwards, I followed the paved path leading down from the Rocks towards the junction with the old packhorse trail which rises from the far side of Kinder than makes its way down Jacobs Ladder back to the Edale Valley.
This was my route back to Upper Booth and as I dropped down the old bridleway, I also dropped out of the mist which remained covering the plateau.
I was soon back at my starting point after an excellent walk despite the not so good weather.




No comments: