Sunday 9 June 2013

Parkhouse Hill

Karen was going to be busy delivering leaflets about “Winster's Secret Gardens” and I was planning on a short walk as I was going t be helping out with the DCRO at the Emergency Services Open Day in Buxton from 14:00.
I first drove to Monyash to meet Keith and Pete Collins, who were in Derbyshire for the day for a digging session in Water Icicle Close Cavern, at the café in Monyash. It was very busy at the café when I arrived at 09:30 and I had to wait a little longer than usual to get served.
About 10 minutes after Keith and Pete left, Julie from DCRO arrived to have breakfast before going digging on Bonsall Moor.
After my eggs on toast, I drove to Earl Sterndale and parked by the church and after getting my boots on, I followed the path from The Quiet Woman pub up and over a ridge to drop down near Glutton Bridge.
I passed the small building housing the British Caving Association Library and the grey-painted telephone kiosk and followed the road leading by the ancient limestone reef remnants of Parkhouse Hill and Chrome Hill as it leads to Dowel Dale.
As time was short I decided to traverse Parkhouse Hill and return to Earl Sterndale, which was interesting as I hadn't climbed Parkhouse Hill before although I have traversed Chrome Hill a few times.
I followed a steep well-worn path, in places very steep, which rose up the near end of the hill and was soon at the pointy top. I sat there for a while taking in the views and eating a Mars Bar then dropped down the far side which is steep and broader than the side I had followed up, but nowhere is it as steep as the other side gets in places.
At the bottom of the hill I crossed a field following a public footpath and then crossed the minor road and then the continuing public footpath on the other side which soon joined the path I had taken earlier by the pub back in Earl Sterndale.






After a quick visit home to have a wash and pick up some stuff, I drove to Buxton to join some others at the DCRO stand at Pavilion Gardens for Emergency Services Open Day.






No comments: