Saturday 2 August 2014

Kinder Scout

I had today to myself as Karen was visiting friends in Rugby. I parked in Edale car park and noticed some sort of event going on as the adjacent sports field had a large marquee and loads of tents pitched. Checking with Google later it appears that this was “Spoonfest – The International Celebration of the Carved Wooden Spoon”!
Anyway, the weather forecast wasn't brilliant (rain showers and possibly thunder later) and although overcast, at least it was still dry as I set off to pass the Old Nags Head Inn in the village. It was warmish at about 16°C so I was wearing just a shirt to start. I crossed the wooden footbridge over the very low river and then along the route leading up to Kinder via Golden Clough, below Ringing Roger. I was going to follow the path on Ringing Roger but there was a group ahead and I didn't want to wait while they made their way along the path.
Not long after reaching the edge path near the top of Golden Clough some light rain started and it was getting windy so I stopped for a moment to get my Rab Bergen waterproof jacket on.
I could see that the cloud level was nearly at the level of the plateau with the top of Grindslow Knoll covered and soon even where I was became covered in mist.
Once I reached the top of Grindsbrook Clough I veered of the edge path making for the field of boulders on the skyline to the north-west. On the way I saw a female grouse and her brood of chicks. The chicks scattered into the heather and the mother ran off trying to distract me from her brood. There were also a couple of mountain hares which ran off as I approached.
I found a comfortable spot out of the wind and also sheltered from the rain by a boulder. I sat here for a while and brewed up some tea as I brought a gas stove and brew kit for a change.
I then made my way back to rejoin the edge path and skirted round the top of Crowden Clough. Again I planned to stop in a sheltered spot but now to have lunch and thought I may find a spot somewhere among the tor of Crowden Tower but the wind was in the wrong direction coming from the south up and over the edge of the plateau. Instead, I wandered off a short way from the path again and found a perfect spot again behind a large boulder.
I sat there and ate my sandwich and again brewed up some more tea and watched as the mist was flowing up from below the plateau and then blowing across the peat bog making sections of the landscape disappear and reappear.

I then rejoined the slabbed path and retuned back the way I had come and then made my way back towards Edale village by following the Grindsbrook Clough path.



No comments: