Saturday 16 August 2014

Kinder Scout

A bit of a different walk today on Kinder. I started in Edale (Grindsbrook Booth) and followed the route up Grindsbrook Knoll. It was windy so I skirted around the very top by following the path just below as it approached the top of Grindsbrook Clough. For a change, rather then continue along the edge path, I followed the northern branch of Grinds Brook. When I reached the ruins of Four Jacks Cabin, an old shooting cabin, I stopped to shelter from the cold wind and make a brew of tea. It was cold enough to be able to see my breath.
Continuing onwards, I reached the start of the brook at a large flatter area with some bare peat but not too wet (the land was very dry generally).
After watching a mountain hare run off as I approached and I made my way across the remaining plateau to reach the northern edge near Fairbrook Naze.
It was very windy, soon I found a well-sheltered spot on the northern side of some boulders overlooking the Fair Brook valley to eat my sandwich and have another brew.
After lunch I followed the path heading east along Seal Edge and continued as far as the top of Blackden Brook. From here the map showed an intermittent path leading back across the plateau towards the Edale Valley and I saw a stile in the wire fence built in recent years to keep sheep off the plateau. After crossing the fence using the stile, I took a compass bearing to follow the path and set off to see of I could follow it but it was not very obvious on the ground and was crossed by some large groughs.
I threaded a route between the groughs, still heading in the right direction. This section of the plateau is where it is narrowest and is only 300 to 350 metres across and once you reach the middle, where it is a bit higher, the Edale valley and Great Ridge can be easily seen.
I walked towards Grindslow Knoll and popped out on the souther edge path near Upper Tor.

From here I followed the usual edge path along the southern edge to reach Ringing Roger and from there I made my way back down to the village. It was windiest at the top of the rocky ridge of Ringing Roger and I was nearly blown over a couple of times!










No comments: