Monday 20 April 2009

Water Icicle Close Cavern, Derbyshire

As we had stayed at the OCC cottage overnight, we were up in the morning and had breakfast then spent some time sitting around then I washed my caving gear after yesterday's trip to Odin Mine. Boyd arrived from home at about 10:30 and once the partitioning was removed and the seats arranged (and Trish (Treasurer) had got out of bed!) the OCC AGM started. Surprisingly the Meeting finished at 12:20!
Keith wanted a quick trip down Water Icicle Close Cavern and Ashleigh (Ken's grandson) was going to join us. We set him up with SRT kit and headed for Monyash cafe for a quick snack and for Keith and Pete to have breakfast. As we were changing in Derby Lane near WICC, Simon arrived as expected and we headed in. Ashleigh, Keith ans Simon had a look at the dig (Pete had a bad back and hadn't brought his caving gear so waited on the surface) and while Keith and Simon shifted some rocks Karen and Ashleigh had a look at other parts of the cave and once I had tidied up the rope at the foot of the ladder up to the dig I headed off after them. I had a poke around both of the other two passages but didn't;t see the other two. On returning to the entrance chamber, I found the others kitting up with Simon looking for me in the other passage! Any way, Keith headed up first with me following. The plan was for Ashleigh to come up third while Keith and I waited on the surface with a spare rope in case he needed a hand but he coped with no problems. By now it was half past five so Keith and Pete headed for home while the rest of us got changed and headed back to the cottage.

No comments: