Sunday 31 October 2010

A Walk on Kinder Scout (another one!)

Karen was leading a trip to the extensions at Water Icicle Close Cavern with Nigel Atkins and others and I had planned a walk on Kinder Scout.
Although the weather forecast was for light rain it remained dry but overcast. As I drove up and over the ridge bordering the Edale valley, through Mam Nick, it was foggy but cleared as I dropped down into the valley. It remained quite patchy once I arrived on the plateau of Kinder with the low cloud blowing in and clearing all during the day.
I parked at the car park at Barber Booth and walked up the road towards Jacob's Ladder then through a farm along the route of the Pennine Way towards the village of Edale (Grindsbrook Booth) passing a sign saying that Edale Moor had been closed to the public (except for Public Right of Ways) yesterday for shooting.
At the signposted junction with the path leading up to Grindsbrook Knoll, I turned along this route following the gradually-rising route to the summit of Grindslow Knoll. First, I removed the hood and sleeves section of my Paramo Third Element Jacket to prevent getting too warm. Here I sheltered behind a boulder for a few minutes and had a hot drink from my flask then replaced the hood and sleeves section once again.
I followed the path leading to the head of Grindsbrook Clough then followed the river channel leading towards the interior of the plateau for a short distance before crossing to another river channel worn in the soft peat and following this to the Northern branch of the Grindsbrook Clough valley.
I continued along the path following the edge of the plateau above Edale Village until after arriving at the rocky outcrop of Ringing Roger where I sat on a sheltered rocky stop to eat my sandwiches.
Following the zig-zag path leading down to Edale Village, I followed the short enclosed path from near the Old Nags Head pub until I arrived back at the junction with the route up Grindslow Knoll.
All that remained was to retrace my route back to where I started at Barber Booth.
 Paved path towards Grindsbrook Booth



 Memorial plaque on rocks, Grindslow Knoll summit

View across to Grindslow Knoll 

From path below Ringing Roger looking along Grindbrook Clough

No comments: