Saturday 6 November 2010

James Halls's Over Engine Mine

Keith was at a loose end this weekend as Pete was working today and Karen had suggested a trip down JH (James Halls's Over Engine Mine). I had been to the top of the second pitch, Bitch Pitch, once on an Orpheus trip when Mark Silo was charged with the task of removing a loose P Bolt (which wouldn't give up its place in the limestone despite being loosed and having the resin drilled). I had also been to the bottom of Leviathan, the last pitch, twice when on DCRO call outs. But I hadn't yet been anywhere in between!
So, pleased to get the chance to have a look at JH, Karen and I met Keith at the Monyash café as usual for breakfast, then called in at the OCC cottage to pick up ropes and tackle bags.
There were several people there, not surprisingly, as it was the Bonfire Weekend, along with Tony Seddon's travelling cave shop in a van “starlessriver.com”. Simon Wynne and Dan Leyden asked if they could come along and they joined us.
I decided to follow the route via Monyash and Peak Forest via Wormhill to get to Rowter Farm but ended up driving slowly behind a Land Rover herding some cattle along the road for nearly half an hour!
Anyway, we were soon all at the camping field next to the farm and changed into caving gear. There were two cars already parked by the farm gate and the farmer had told Karen that there was a party already down JH. We were puzzled when opening the shaft lid to find two ropes already rigged.
Anyway, Keith started rigging our rope and headed down followed by Dan, Simon and Karen. As it happened, we had four tackle bags and I was the lucky one with none to carry!
I was last and shut the heavy steel lid while standing on the scaffold poles just below. I found the rope wasn't feeding through my descender very well and began feeding it through by lifting it with my right hand. This was pulling a bit on my shoulder which is still a bit weak from an old injury and after 20 metres or so I decided to abort the trip rather than risk injury.
I shouted down to Karen that I was heading out and she acknowledged and I changed over to prusiking and was soon opening the heavy shaft lid once again.
I was back at the car at 13:00 and soon changed out of caving gear. I sat in the car for a while and dozed then heard voices at 14:30: it was the cavers who owned the other two cars arriving back after the trip. I looked over and saw one was waving – it was Wayne Sheldon! He had met the others underground and knew I was back on the surface. He mentioned they had seen another pair down JH (hence the two ropes) and was puzzled as there were no other vehicles...
Anyway, about an hour and a half later at 16:30 Karen arrived. She had been to the Workshop and together with Dan had decided to not bother descending Leviathan leaving Simon and Keith to do that. They planned to reach the bottom and then head up again.
Soon Karen was changed and we popped home to feed Willow then returned to the OCC cottage for the bonfire and firework festivities. As I was driving and we were staying at the cottage overnight since we were going on a trip to Alderley Edge Copper Mines the next day, Karen was soon giggling after a pint and a bit of Martsons Pedigree from the barrel!

No comments: