Saturday 26 May 2012

Kinder Scout

Karen was up at 05:00 as she was joining some old workmates on a “bird race” where the objective is to see how many birds they can see or hear in an area in a period of time.
So as the forecast was for warm and sunny weather, (for a change!), I decided on a walk on Kinder Scout.
I arrived at the layby at Barber Booth at 09:25 and already all the spaces in the layby itself were taken. I was able to park at the roadside opposite.
I changed into my walking boots and set of along the road which eventually leads to Jacobs Ladder as far as the farm at Upper Booth where I went through the gate to join the footpath leading along the River Noe to join the Crowden Brook valley.
I followed alongside the river and at the head of the valley I scrambled up the short gritstone crag then followed the path along the plateau edge as far as Ringing Roger.
After following the rock crest of Ringing Roger, I followed the path to the village of Grindsbrook Booth (which is known to many as the village of Edale).
From here I followed the start of the Pennine Way as far as the farm at Barber Booth, passing a copse of trees with a cuckoo making its distinctive call.
Soon I was back at the car after an excellent, if very warm, walk.








No comments: