Saturday 19 May 2012

Oxlow Cavern

Keith was up for the weekend to do some caving before the forthcoming trip to Fermanagh. We met at the Old Smithy Cafe in Monyash for breakfast and then drove to the Orpheus CC cottage to pick up the ropes for a trip to Oxlow Cavern.
After parking at Oxlow Farm we were surprised to see that the corrugated iron and timber roof of the barn was missing. The farmer was there to collect our good will and parking fees and he confirmed that it had been blown off by the wind recently!
There was another car of cavers at the farm also paying their fees to the farmer but luckily they were planning on a trip into Nettle Pot so we would have Oxlow to ourselves.
We started down the cave just before Noon and Keith rigged the pitches and we followed him as far a the West Antechamber. Here, we arranged the “pull-down” rope to gain entrance to the crawls of the New Oxlow Series via Pilgrims Way.
We were soon all up the pitch and the crawling began.
By the time we had crawled several hundred metres, my knees were getting sore (I really must get some decent knee pads!) and by the time we reached Mecca Aven I decide to turn back as I could then crawl slowly and make it less painful on my knees.
So I headed slowly back towards the pitch from West Antechamber while Karen and Keith continued onwards. They said a very short distance past Mecca Aven was walking passage. Rats.
Anyway, as I neared the top of the pitch I could hear voices and met a caver who had just got off the top of the pitch as I arrived.
We chatted as I got out of the way to let him past and he waited for the remaining two cavers he was with.
I was surprised when the third caver arrived at the top of the pitch: it was a girl, nut she was a dwarf! So she would have no trouble with the crawls!
Anyway, once the other cavers had passed, I abseiled down and had my Mars Bar and waited for Karen and Keith's return which took only just over half an hour.
We then forgo a visit to the West Chamber and started our journey to the surface.
This went without incident and we were all back on the surface at about 16:20.
We walked back to Oxlow Farm and changed then returned to the Orpheus CC cottage to wash the ropes and have some tea.

No comments: