Monday 6 May 2013

Aquamole Pot

Today was supposed to be the best weather-wise and so it proved to be. Ingleton and afterwards, Kingsdale, seemed very quiet for a Bank Holiday Monday. After breakfast we drove to Kingsdale and after parking in one of the laybys and getting changed we walked up the slopes to the Turbary Road (an old track which was used to access arear where peat cutting used to be carried out. We soon found our cave, Aquamole Pot, after a slight detour as we turned right at the Turbary track and arrived at Bull Pot instead of left towards Jingling Pot and then nearby found the lidded shaft of Aquamole Pot.
Soon Keith was abseiling down the short breeze block lined entrance shaft followed by Karen and lastly myself. I had the job of sliding the grid cover back over the shaft entrance to prevent the odd sheep joining us underground.
What a brilliant cave!
We continued down several more pitches rigging our rope next to those already in place, which had been left by cave divers who are still exploring the sump at the bottom of the pot.
We reached a short and slightly awkward crawl (when you have a tackle bag) at the bottom of one pitch and I elected to wait there as the others continued. My injured left arm was still twinging and I decided to take it easy to avoid further injury as we were going caving for a week in County Clare at the end of the month and I didn't want to have an injured arm again this time.
Karen and Keith returned just over an hour an a quarter later raving about how good the rest of the cave was, especially the largest pitch. I spent most of the time setting up the replacement SRT footloop and safety-link whcih I had bought in Inglesport yesterday to replace my old worn-out ones.
I took the tackle bag Karen was carrying and headed back up the pitches to the surface to find the sun was out and the day had turned into a lovely spring day in the Yorkshire Dales.
After changing, we said good-bye to Keith as he set off for home while Karen and I had a meal in Bernies before setting off for home ourselves.

No comments: