Thursday 30 May 2013

Cullaun 1

Boyd and Jenny shot off at 10:00 to go dolphin watching. We left the house at 11:00 to have a trip in Cullaun 1. As we had already located the entrance before going in Cullaun 2 the other day, we went straight to the entrance.
The entrance is a 4 metre climb down which is fairly easy but doesn't look like it when looking down the route from the surface, so we had rigged a handline to a nearby tree to offer a bit of assistance.
At a low wet hands and knees crawl on a scalloped floor with sections having the same height as the length of my thigh bones which is very annoying.
I soon got fed up with this and my knees were complaining so I decided to stop there while Karen and Keith carried on. I waited by the start of the crawl for about 20 minutes and then at 14:00 headed back towards the entrance as I was getting a bit cold.
When I had passed an obstructing block in the narrow meandering passage near the entrance, I heard the other two coming behind me so I waited for them.
We then continued to the entrance and I climbed out while Karen and Keith continued following the meandering passage passing this entrance for a short distance and they appeared on the surface close by after having come out of an alternative entrance.
We returned to the car and got changed, then set off for Lisdoonvarna to buy lunch and then retuned to Doolin to eat lunch and hang up our wet caving gear in the garden.

In the evening we ate a meal in McDermott's then returned to the cottages and later on spent some time in another very nearby pub, McGanns.

No comments: