Saturday 18 May 2013

Kinder Scout

Up via Grindslow Knoll, down Ringing Roger. I parked at the usual layby in Upper Booth and after having a quick look around to see if there was any sign of my walking poles which I had left on my car's roof a fortnight ago (not surprisingly, there was no sign of them), I set of along the road which eventually leads to Jacob's Ladder and then followed the public footpath which starts at Upper Booth farm across to Grindsbrook Booth (Edale village).
By the junction with the path leading to the Old Nags Head, I turned left headed for the top of Grindslow Knoll.
It had been foggy in parts as I drove towards Edale but the valley bottom was clear. As I ascended Geindslow Knoll, I reached the mist and fog which was covering the top section of Kinder Scout and from then onwards I was engulfed in the mist.
Its always surprising when there is a strong wind and it is still misty, as it was today, but I suppose that just shows how much mist there is as it is probably being blown along quickly by the wind.
At the top of the popular route up Grindsbrook Clough, I paused in the lee of some rocks to have a quick drink of water and then continued onwards on the path along the edge heading eastwards with the strong wind either behind me or from one side.
A I reached the top of the invisible rocky ridge of Ringing Roger, I crossed the stile in the fence and made my way across the flat area leading to the start of the ridge as it descends to Grindsbrook Booth.
I sat on a small alcove formed in the gritstone ridge out of the wind to have a snack and then dropped down carefully to the path below. For some reason the wind was at its strongest as it blew past the ridge.

Soon I was in the sheltered and mist-free village of Grindbrook Booth and I followed the start of the Pennine Way near the Old Nags Head inn to the path junction I had reached earlier and then retraced my route back to the starting place.




No comments: