Thursday 9 September 2010

Trou des Heretiques

We were woken up in the early hours of the morning by heavy rain and as it was still raining later in the morning, we slept in until after 09:00.
Boyd and Elaine drove off to some destination across the border in Spain. We sorted out some ropes and sat around for a couple of hours waiting for the rain to stop.
By 11-ish, the rain had stopped and we repeated the short drive up to the Fontaine de L'Ours car park and after changing into caving gear, walked up the rough track nearly as far as the same bend as yesterday. Here we left the track for a short distance to find the cave entrance among boulders at the foot of a small crag with fluted limestone.
Keith began rigging and was followed by Karen and Pete with me taking up the rear.
At the bottom of the first pitch of about 6 metres, there was a narrowing leading into a small chamber with a further pitch below. I spotted another spit anchor which Keith had missed at the narrowing and as the rope was draped across boulders below, I suggested that Keith sholud put a hanger in here to protect the rope. The next pitch wasn't very long so he came back up and passed me the hanger and spanner so that I could place the hanger.
I had heard Karen commenting about the pitch below being tight and I may have some trouble with it. In the meantime, I was having trouble with the narrowing where I was. It wasn't too tight but tight enough to be awkward. You could drop down a few feet and stand on a small flat area but dropping any further required you to poke your legs in at an angle by which time all my SRT gear was scraping down the rock and my back was scraping on the other side.
I told the others to continue on and I would either get through and follow them or turn back. I tried several times but gave up, especially as the next pitch would stop me anyway from the sounds of it.
I spent the time prusiking up and practising changing over to descent and vice versa. I also readjusted my short cowstail, sat on the surface several times, tried alternative ways of adding friction using my Petzl Freino.
By now it was just after 16:00 and I was wondering whether to return to the car when I heard noise below: it was Karen returning!
Soon they were all back on the surface and we walked back down to to car park and got changed.

No comments: