Sunday 26 June 2011

Chrome Hill

A very warm and sunny day for a change with temperatures up to 25 degrees Celsius. Karen decided to potter about in the garden after a lay-in so I drove to the small village of Early Sterndale with its interesting pub “The Quiet Woman Inn”.
Leaving the car in a shady spot outside the village church opposite the pub, I set off on a path from the pub itself which went through a very short walled track, across a drive and onwards into fields.
The route across the path passed to one side of Hitter Hill then dropped down a slope to the minor road leading to Glutton Bridge, opposite the striking Parkhouse Hill.
I followed this minor road North for 200 or 300 metres as far the farm of Glutton range then through the farm gates and a track soon bringing me to Glutton Dale pointed to be a Public Footpath sign.
I followed this small grassy dale to a stile which brought me to a farm track where I turned right and followed the track as far as a very bent metal farm gate which was difficult to open where I then followed a route marked across a large field until it dropped down to a gate leading onto the minor road in Dowel Dale.
Soon I was walking along the crest of Chrome Hill and at the highest point sat for a while looking at the views and munching a flapjack.
I dropped down the opposite side of Chrome Hill and at the road leading to Dowel Dale, followed a Public Footpath which skirts around the side of Parkhouse Hill then across some field to arrive back opposite the stile I had been to earlier on the Glutton Bridge road. I crossed over and went through the stile but instead of following the path I had been on earlier, as this area was Open Access land, I opted to walk up the very steep slope leading to the top of Hitter Hill.
Descending the short slope on the other side of Hitter Hill, I crossed a wall by using a stile into a field behind “The Quiet Woman” then after passing the pub and leaving my rucksack and boots in the car, as it was such a warm day, I had a pint of shandy in the pub.
"The Quiet Woman" Pub, Earl Sterndale

The Pub Sign

Two-Headed Cow!

Dowal Dale

Looking across to Chrome Hill

No comments: