Saturday 18 June 2011

Kinder Downfall

Karen was accompanying Pete Mellors and others in Water Icicle Close Cavern while Keith did some solo digging as Pete Collins is still having to work on Saturdays.
I set off at around 09:00 to Upper Booth and parked there then made my way along the minor road which leads Lee House towards Jacobs Ladder and the part of the Pennine Way but turned off just over the bridge past Upper Booth Farm to follow Crowden Clough up to the plateau of Kinder Scout.
After reaching the plateau I followed the main part of Crowden Brook as it wended its way along a deep grough (a channel worn in the peat) in a general direction of NNW until the grough became shallower.
I then made my way along the narrow sandy bottom until it was easier to climb back out again near a line of small cairns and sticks marking the parish boundary. From here it was easy to see the right hand side of the light-coloured gritstone feature known as Kinder Gates several hundred metres away again to the NW.
This is a useful landmark when heading across the Kinder plateau as Kinder Gates are on either side of the Kinder River which heads towards the plateau's Western edge before tumbling over the side at Kinder downfall.
I headed towards Kinder Gates descending and climbing back out of a several groughs which crossed my route and joined the Kinder River at a tributary.
It was a simple job to follow the wide and sandy river bed which had quite a shallow river flowing and I was soon passing between Kinder Gates where another walker was stood up eating a snack with a sheep in close attendance hoping for a portion of the snack as well.
Up to this point I had been quite comfortable in just a thermal short-sleeved shirt despite coolish temperatures. There were large ominous black clouds gathering and some drops began to fall so I stopped for a minute to don my Paramo Light Velez Adventure smock.
Soon I arrived at the Downfall where there was a very small Kinder River cascading over the waterfall's edge before being blown back up by the wind which is more than often the case.
I sat on a convenient flat boulder to have my lunch an was soon being pestered by a cheeky ewe with an attendant lamb, the ewe was obviously eyeing up my lunch like the one I had seen earlier at Kinder Gates.
While I finished my lunch and the ewe trotted off when it realised it was getting nothing from me, I noticed many more ominous black clouds gathering in the distance to the West and deading my way. It was obvious there was going to be some heavy rain soon so I got my waterproof overtrousers on before continuing on my way.
As soon as I set off again, heavy rain began and I passed several others stopped to put on waterproof clothing.
The heavy rain poured down and I paused for some minutes in the shelter of some boulders before realising the rain would not be stopping very soon and continued on my way along the path on the Western edge.
Gradually the rain lightened and then stopped as I approached the Trig. Point at Kinder Low,
I continued following the path, soon arriving at the large gritstone feature of Edale Rocks. It was quite dry below on of the steeply-overhanging roofs formed by the Rocks and I sat on a boulder and finished of my flask of coffee.
Afterwards, I dropped down the path leading to Jacob's Ladder at the top of which I passed to remove my smock as it was quite warm now that the sun was making an appearance and there was no more rain threatening.
Soon I was crossing the small Packhorse Bridge at the foot of the steps formed by the path and then followed the track back to reach the point I had left the minor road earlier at Barber Booth Farm.
Soon I was back where I had left the car at around 14:00 and headed for home.
Karen and Keith were back at our place just before 18:00 and not long afterwards we had a meal at the Miners Standard the joined the others sheltering from showers and the wind at the Orpheus CC Barbecue!




Top of Kinder Downfall

"Ewe Must Be Joking" the sandwich thief!



No comments: