Thursday 23 June 2011

DCRO Call-out Stoney Middleton

Last night the phone rang at 01:25. There was a missing person in the Stoney Middleton area and both Mountain and Cave Rescue Teams were being asked to do a search. We were to meet at Horseshoe Quarry at 05:30. I said I would go but Karen couldn't because of staff shortages where she works; she was working 5 day weeks instead of the usual 3.
I put my caving lamp on charge and couldn't get back to sleep for ages with my brain going over what I needed to get ready in the morning.
I was up at 04:10 and started porridge for breakfast, got a flask of coffee ready and some sandwiches. I left for Stoney Middleton at 05:00.
I arrived at 05:25 and found the DCRO vehicle parked on the lane leading to Horseshoe Quarry along with a number of both Edale and Buxton MRT vehicles and other Team Members' cars also parked in the nearby layby. Of course it had also started to rain.
Myself as Leader plus Wayne Sheldon and Roy Rogers were asked to check out Streaks Pot top entrance so we grabbed some ropes, a crash bag, a half rigging bag and a radio and Wayne, who hadn't any caving gear, showed us the way to the cave entrance.
I went in feet-first to the top of the pitch a short way in and tied a rope onto the bolt anchor at the top of the pitch.
I was able to lean over the pitch and see the bottom clearly and could see no sign of anyone. After radioing in with this information I suggested we also check on Monday Mine and Sunday Mine which were in the same area and was told to do this. We then had a quick look at the lower entrance of Streaks Pot but the corrugated iron sheet covering the entrance was in place with a stone on top so it was obvious no one had entered this route. We moved the rock and sheet out of the way and could see nothing of interest.
We walked up the road for a short distance to look for Sunday Mine when I heard John Mottram's voice asking for our call-sign “Caver 1”. I responded and was told that the missing person had been found and we were to return to base. It was approximately 07:00.
Returning to base we discovered that the missing man had been fairly quickly found by a SARDA dog and was close to where he had left his car.
An ambulance arrived and the man was taken in the ambulance vehicle for some time.
Eventually, the ambulance and police left then everyone else. I was one of the last to leave as my car had been blocked in.
I was home again at around 08:45 and I finished off my flask of coffee (I had started drinking it as we were waiting for the incident to wind up). I was tired but felt I couldn't yet sleep so as the weather was fine now, I decide to go for a walk in Castleton.

No comments: