Sunday 19 January 2014

Aquamole Pot

A repeat of yesterday morning with breakfast at Bernies to start the day. It was like the good old days of the 80's or 90's with with a crowd of cavers in Bernies, mainly because there had been a party yesterday evening for Dave Brook's birthday.
Anyway, while the others had various plans for the day, Boyd and some others were going to visit Kingsdale Master Cave via Valley Entrance for example, we decided on a second try at Aqualmole Pot with Alice joining us today.
Luckily not only was the weather better today, there were no cars parked at the usual caver parking places! Hooray!
We parked in a better location today and after getting changed into caving gear, we walked back up the valley side on a better route than yesterday to arrive at the shaft leading into Aquamole Pot.
Again Keith was on rigging duty followed by Karen then Alice and finally myself bringing up the rear.
Alice was not very experienced at SRT so we took care to remain fairly close in case she had a problem but in the end, she was absolutely fine.
One of the rebelays was very drippy so we put on the hoods from our oversuits.
We hadn't planned on descending the final pitch due to the time so when we got to the short crawl at the bottom of one pitch I waited for the others to have a look at the top of the final pitch-head as I kept getting various bits of SRT kit stuck in the crawl and I wasn't sure how large it was beyond a bend I could see. I went as far as the bend and then reversed back to the beginning of the crawl. After a short rest (and a Mars bar!) I took off my small tackle bag from my belt and left it and was about to have another go at the crawl when I heard the others returning.
So I waited for them to arrive and then took the tackle bag they had and set off back up the pitches to the surface.

Again, the usual routine followed: change out of caving gear and back to Bernies before heading for home.

No comments: