Saturday 4 January 2014

Kinder Scout

Karen had been having pain from a bruised heel and as it was still playing up she decided to continue taking it easy so again I returned to Kinder Scout. I repeated the walk I did on New Years Eve: up via Grindslow Knoll down via Ringing Roger.
The weather forecast had bee for yet more wind and gales but these failed to materialise although it was misty on the top of the plateau.
I left the car park in Edale and started up Grindlow Knoll and found it fairly warm and sweaty. Although it was still cool at around 5 or 6 degrees Centigrade, with the mist the air must have been very humid, plus I was moving fairly swiftly up hill.
I stopped on the lee side of the Knoll to have a breather and cool down and also a drink from my flask. As I was sitting there on piece of insulating pad I always carry in my rucksack, I heard some voices and three walkers: two men and a woman appeared out of the mist following the path skirting the Knoll on the Grindsbrook side.
One of the men asked if I could read a map and pointed at Kinder Downfall on his map saying that was their destination. He then pointed at another location and asked if that was where we were. I didn't pay attention to exactly where he was pointing as I could see it was nowhere near Grindslow Knoll so I corrected him and showed him where we really were. They had followed the route up Grindsbrook from Edale and turned sharp left to get where they were.
He was surprised at how far out he was from where he thought he was! He pointed at the green dashed line following the original route of Pennine Way heading for Kinder Downfall and asked where that path was.
I explained that there was no path, that the line was only showing the route of a Public Right of Way and showed him the symbol for a path on the ground (black dashed line). He was happy with my suggestion of following the path from the top of Grindsbrook Clough on the slabs a or well-worn path following the plateau edge heading for the top of Jacob' Ladder seeing as they weren't confident at map reading nor had a compass and it was misty! They decided to do this and at the junction of the path which heads towards the Downfall, they would decide wheter to walk tot he Downfall and back to return to Edale via Jacob's Ladder or just go straight back to Edale via this route leaving the Downfall for another day.
I continued on my way around the top of Grindsbrook Clough and along the edge path heading towards Ringing Roger.

At about Noon, I stopped in the lee of a boulder to have lunch, then proceeded again towards Ringing Roger and then down back to Edale.

No comments: