Saturday 25 January 2014

Kinder Scout

Karen was going to a spa with some workmates and I went walking on Kinder Scout again. It was a cold morning, but above freezing, and pretty windy.
The forecast was for a good morning but turning wet in the afternoon.
As the forecast was for a westerly wind, I decided to walk with the wind mostly from behind so I parked in Edale car park and made my way along the beginning of the Pennine Way then branching off towards Crowden Clough before the path drops down towards Barber Booth farm.
I always enjoy this route onto Kinder as it is always quiet with the crowds following the Pennine Way up Jacobs Ladder or the original route which follows Grindsbrook Clough. There is also a lovely river a lot of the way and an enjoyable little scramble at the top which was wet and a bit dirty but the holds are excellent.
After making my way up Crowden Clough I made use of the shelter offered by the top section near the path following the edge of the plateau to stop for a few minutes and have a hot drink from my flask. There was a string wind but it was dry so far with sunny periods.
I continued following the southern edge path right around the plateau edge until reaching the gritstone ridge known as Ringing Roger. I found a small bit on the eastern side of the ridge I have used in the past which has a small flat grassy area and is sheltered on three sides by the rock. There is also a geocache container there. I sat on this sheltered spot to eat my sandwiches and afterwards made my way back down towards Grindsbrook Booth and the Edale car park.
As I reached the village I noticed the sun had gone and darker clouds were making an appearance over the heights of Kinder above. Aha – here comes the rain!
As I was dropping down from Kinder I was passed by several others, some with rucksacks, some wearing jeans and down duvets, etc. heading up. Since it was around 13:30, it would be getting dark in three hours so I have no idea why they were leaving it so late in the day to set off. Of course now they would also be getting very wet!
As I neared the car park the first one or two rain drops tarted to fall and just as I changed out of my walking boots and got into the car, the heavy rain began.

As I was driving towards Hathersage to eat at Outside, the heavens opened with torrential rain and lighting as well to add to the fun.









No comments: