Sunday 5 January 2014

Kinder Scout

Another return to Kinder. I know its not very imaginative, but I always enjoy walking on Derbyshire's highest location. This time I parked in the layby near Upper Booth and walked across the fields to Edale. I managed to slide on muddy grass as I stepped of the paving slabs to let a couple coming the other way get past and ended up with a muddy knee, sleeve and one cheek of my bum! I also managed to slightly bend the end of one walking pole but managed to straighten it again by carefully bending it while it was stuck in a gap in one of the field walls.
When I reached the junction with the start of the Pennine Way coming for Edale and the route up Grindslow Knoll, I washed off most the the mud in a small stream next to the path.
Repeating a section of yesterday's walk, I started up Grindslow Knoll, only this time it was quite a bit colder (just around freezing point) and the air was clear and drier so I was nowhere near as warm as yesterday.
As I was walking up the steeper stepped section of path near the top, I head an odd squeaking noise and paused to have a look around. I then spotted a large skein of geese flying in several “V” formations flying overhead from the direction of Grindsbrook Clough and the odd noise was their continuous “honking” as they flew!
At the top of the Knoll, I stopped again, like yesterday, but instead of to cool down, this time it was to put on a Mountain Equipment Shadow Hoodie fleece jacket as it was so chilly and I had now reached a windy section, Up to then there had been hardly any wind and I was walking uphill so just the Paramo Aspira smock I was wearing had been warm enough.
I also had a quick hot drink from my flask and then continued.
Reaching the top of Grindsbrook Clough, I turned left to follow the large stone slabs forming the pathway and headed in the direction of Crowden Clough to the west. I saw several runners heading along the path at the top of Crowden Clough and met on who asked if we were at Crowden Clough – it must have been some sort of event.
Continuing on, it became very windy and streams if mist were blowing across the plateau as I made my way through the natural sculpture park called The Woolpacks and near the large rock outcrop called the Pagoda I found a small bench-like clump of mossy grass by some boulders which was mostly sheltered from the biting wind and I sat there to eat my sandwich and have a hot drink. I put on my Paramo Torres gilet to keep warm and ended up leaving it on afterwards until I reached the top of the footpath down Jacob's Ladder.
As I was finishing lunch, there was a light snow shower and the wind seemed to increase. So I packed everything up and continued on my way following the path below Edale Rocks and then down Jacob's Ladder.
When I reached the bottom of the stepped section of the path just above the old packhorse bridge, I saw there mountain bikers coming down the bridleway section which this short section of path provides an alternative. The guy in the lead was walking wheeling two bikes along and a second guy was carefully walking slowly behind while the third followed slowly on his bike.
I asked the first guy if the guy walking had come off and he said that he had and had broken his cycling helmet so it must have been with some force. I asked if he had been knocked out at all and he said he hadn't and was happy to continue slowly.

I polished off the last of my hot chocolate from my flask and made my way back to my starting point.

No comments: