Saturday 15 August 2009

A Walk on Kinder Scout, Derbyshire

Keith, Pete and Karen were planning on a trip down Rowter Hole and I decided to do something else as Rowter Hole would be basically a 200 foot plus entrance pitch, a quick look round a chamber maybe followed by a second pitch to a dead-end and a hand-line climb into an upper series. Now it sounds an interesting trip, but I had done it before and as the weather forecast wasn't too bad - jut some light rain showers, I opted for a walk on Kinder Scout.
So, after breakfast at home, Karen headed for Monyash to meet Keith and Pete while I drove to Edale and parked in the main car par - which now costs £5 for a period over 4 hours. After changing into my boots I walked through the village of Grindsbrook Booth, which many call Edale, although strictly that is the name of the valley, past the Old Nags Head Inn pub and followed the path over the River Noe. The path continues up onto the plateau of Kinder Scout via Grindsbrook, but I followed the branching path up the zig zag path of Ringing Roger which means "Echoing Rocks", apparently a corruption of the French "Rocher".
Once I reached the plateau edge, I followed the west-heading path along the edge. Although it had been fairly windy lower down, up there the wind was far greater and mad walking a bit tricky with strong gusts. Soon, the threatening clouds started raining and I stopped to put on my Paramo Velez smock. Continuing onwards I passed several others sheltering in the lee of the odd boulder and one particular group of youths had a guy dressed in jeans and a white cotton T-Shirt with no other clothing or gear. H was soaked and didn't look very happy. He must have been pretty cold as well. Soon the rain got heavier and I stopped to put on waterproof trousers. Once I reached the top of Grindsbrook, the rain stopped so I unzipped my waterproof trousers and put them back in my rucksack and headed onwards.
A short distance from the path was a rock outcrop with a right-angled section in the lee of the wind and hence well-sheltered. I stopped there for a short break and had some coffee from a flask and a flapjack. I could see more rain being blown past in sheets in the wind but I was well-sheltered.
After a short time when the rain seemed to be almost stopped I headed back onto the path and then the rain started - even heavier than before. As my trousers were light-weight and quick drying, I decided not to bother putting my waterproof trousers back on and continued in the wind and rain towards the path dropping down via Grindsbrook Knoll. Soon it was warmer and the rain stopped as I reached the lower land near where I started and after a tea in the cafe next to the train station, I returned to the car park and changed out of my boots and headed for home.

No comments: