Sunday 9 August 2009

Water Icicle Close Cavern, Derbyshire

Karen was feeling under the weather and although she drove in her car to the OCC Cottage, she decided to not go caving and went home after breakfast in the Monyash Cafe with me Keith and Pete and I, while we drove up Derby Lane and parked near Water Icicle Close Cavern.
The plan was for Keith and Pete to measure up in the dig for more scaffolding and to try Keith's new pulley and his Mini-Traxion to set up a haul system to remove rubble from the dig which he did successfully. I had a poke around in the lower dug passage (in the North-West passage) and then waited until they finished.
We then returned to the foot of the entrance shaft and once Pete had prusiked up, Keith followed. I noticed he seemed to be panting a lot and when it was my turn, I found out why. Even though the air was fresh enough at the dig, it was hard work prusiking up the shaft - there seemed to be quite a lot of carbon dioxide around.
After a snack in the cafe at Monyash I headed for home while Keith and Pete returned to the OCC cottage.

No comments: